Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Rabbinical Parable On Helping The Poor.



It is related of Nahum of Gamzu that he was blind in both of his eyes, his two hands and legs were amputated, and his whole body was covered with boils and he was lying in a dilapidated house on a bed the feet of which where standing in bowls of water in order to prevent the ants from crawling onto him. His disciples said to him, "Master, why has this befallen you?" And he replied, "I have brought this condition onto myself. Once I was on a journey to my father-in-law's house with three donkeys. One donkey was loaded down with food. The second donkey was loaded down with all kinds of drink. The third donkey was laden with delicious desserts. Close to my father-in-law's home a poor man stopped me and said, 'Master, please give me something to eat.' I replied, 'Wait until I have unloaded all three donkeys at my father-in-law's home, and then I will return to give you something to eat.' But before I could finish unloading the donkeys, the poor man died of starvation. I then went and threw myself upon the man's body and exclaimed, 'May my eyes which had no pity on your eyes become blind, may my hands which had no pity on your hands be cut off, may my legs be amputated, and may my whole body be covered with boils for not having had mercy upon you.'" Thereupon the disciples exclaimed, "Alas that we see you in such a plight!" To this he replied, "Woe to me if you did not see me in such a plight."

Babylonian Talmud, Taanith 21.A

No comments: